[Coco] Dragon & Drivewire

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Fri Oct 12 18:22:12 EDT 2012

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:51:38 +0100
From: Phill Harvey-Smith<afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk>

Next up I guess is to take the DW bitbang routines out of HDB-DOS ans
see if I can insert them into SuperDos, as this would allow the Dragon
to natively use a DriveWire server. Though the complicating factor here
is that DragonDos & SuperDos, unlike RS-DOS allow 4 different disk
formats SS40, SS80, DS40 and DS80. The problem being of course that SS80
and DS40 are the same size  NitrOS9 handles this because it just uses
LBA rather the CHS.

Phill, how common is the SS80 format? Would it help to take it out? I don't know of any single sided 80 track drives ever used over here. I know a DS drive can be used as SS, but not much reason to do so even in RS-DOS if DS were supported. Well, if one had some old SS drives, maybe...

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine