[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 05:15:46 EDT 2012

That's not good.

Are you still using the nightly disk that has other issues?  I wonder if
this is another.  The dw command output is a stream, not sector based and
the largest single transfer of bytes possible in the stream is 255, not
256.  So... I think it is very unlikely that the output of the dw s l
command actually contained 256 0s aligned perfectly with a sector
boundary..  which I think means that the bit after the redirect is where
things went wrong.  Dw4 will create zero filled sectors to pad out a file
when necessary... if you have a file with 10 sectors in it and write to
sector 12, 11 will be created and zero filled.  Its possible an entire
write operation went missing?  Did you notice any errors or warnings on the
server log screen?  And, is it consistent or do multiple runs yield
different results?  Fwiw this and every other transfer I've tested work
fine here, but I am running an older disk generated from my own clone of
the source which is not current...  bit of a mess.

Anyway, scary because it seems likely the problem is actually in the sector
write, which would likely effect any write op, not just those writing the
output of a dw download.  Hrmmmm .  Need to sort this out.   If you could
submit a bug report with all boxes checked after running that command, I'll
look through it for any clues.