[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 00:53:14 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess what we need is a realiable way to add a file to an existing .DSK or
> .VHD file. Not sure if wimgtool.exe will fill the bill, or what you'd use on
> Linux.

If you'd like to do this directly from the CoCo, the commands 'dw
server list' and 'dw server dir' are an easy way.

To bring a file from your windows machine into the CoCo's disk:

dw s l c:\coco\somefile.b09 > /dd/work/somefile.b09

Or, maybe you want to bring a file from a web site or ftp site into
the CoCo's disk:

dw s l ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/ezgen.lzh > /dd/work/ezgen.lzh

A sort of poor man's FTP client in OS9:

{N2|03}/DD:dw s d ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09
Directory of ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09

.bash_logout                  .bash_profile
.bashrc                       .kde
APPS                          ARCHIVERS
COM                           CoCo_Projects.zip
EMULATORS                     GAMES
GLENSIDE                      GRAPHICS
Glenside                      HARDWARE
LANGUAGES                     PROG
REFERENCE                     SOUNDUTILS
SYSMODS                       TELECOM
TXT                           UMUSE
UTILITIES                     coco
coco_archive.iso              coco_archive_gofd_readme.txt
cocoos9.zip                   dagorpatch.zip
ezgen.lzh                     fsr.lzh
gofd.zip                      oscom10.zip
vCoCo.cpt.Hqx.sit             xt-hd.lzh
xt-rom.lzh
{N2|03}/DD:

So 'dw s l' will bring in pretty much anything local or remote, dump
it to stdout where you can redirect into a local file on the coco, and
'dw s d' will list a directory of most anything that can provide a
directory.

To go the other way, I'd suggest using httpd on OS9.  Add a line like:

80,runb,httpd

to your inetd.conf, restart inetd and visit http://127.0.0.1/dd with a
web browser on your server.
you can browse the entire OS9 filesystem and download files with the browser.

-Aaron