[Coco] Booting NitrOS-9 from MESS

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 01:49:43 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, Aaron, et al,
>
> I just tried the latest nightly build using nos9l2v030209coco3_dw.dsk. It
> had three D0 descriptors. After fixing that error, I now get i2xoC*X which I
> think means "Pathname not found" (error 216).

I knew there were problems with the standard nightly images but didnt
realize they also effected the dw builds.
That is a bug in the build process, hopefully will be sorted out soon.

> I checked to see if shell, sysgo and grfdrv are in their right places, and
> have their permissions set. They do.
>
> It seems that the DD module uses the driver "rbdw". I guess that means that
> I must have a boot disk in slot 0 (/X0) of the drivewire server?

It's expected that you would have that disk in /X0.. the *_dw disks
are for booting via DriveWire.

> If that's so (and I just tried it, and it works) why are all the files
> necessary on the disk image?

Not sure I'm following you, but guessing you are booting from
something that isn't drivewire but want to use the drivewire
functionality?
In that case you only need the modules from the _dw disk that you want
to use.. rbdw for disks, scdwn for the virtual channels, etc.
I'm not an OS9 expert, when I need a particular boot disk I just
generate it from the source, but I believe you can insert them into an
existing system.. cobbler or os9gen, something like that?