[Coco] Hacking the SuperIDE

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 3 12:20:53 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 03 October 2012 11:55:51 Retro Canada did opine:

> For HDB-DOS, the offset is 3 byte long. So I believe it can be
> $FFFFFF-(256*630) maximum.

That is an HDBDOS restriction.  If running nitros9, and your bootfile
includes /sh.dd, then be aware that the dmode utility can be used to make
quite a few of the 256 disk sets of rsdos formatted virtual disks
available.

For instance, I have 2 1Gb drives on my tc^3 scsi controller.  Address 0 on
the scsi bus is my work drive, and is partitioned for $1DBB90 sectors as
/dd.  That is about 498 megs, using a cluster size of 4.

Normally, a dmode of the /sh descriptor says the offset is also set to
$1DBB90.  This is the "wpc=1D ofs=BB90" in dmode.  In the /sh descriptor
for the superdriver, the stp value is used as the vdisk to access, so if
stp=$80, that is the drive my copy of HDBDOS can boot from.

BUT, until I run out of drive, there is no reason the offsets in /sh cannot
be modified (write it on the wall so you can restore) by using dmode to
increase this offset value by an additional $27600 for every additional 256
vdisk set you need.  On one of those 4Gb CF cards, that is a huge bunch.

I think what I would do would be to write me a bunch of scripts called
dmodesh# where # was the set of vdisks you wanted to look at.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
TAILFINS!! ... click ...