[Coco] Raspberry Delight

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 17:32:46 EDT 2012

On 10/1/2012 4:05 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM, john dumas <JohnDumas at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> On 10/1/2012 3:36 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>> The server runs just fine on the stock Raspbian image.  Just do
>>> apt-get install openjdk7-jre or something like that to get the JRE,
>>> and apt-get install librxtx to get the rxtx serial libraries, and
>>> you're set.
>>>
>>> The GUI will not run on the Pi currently, but I wouldn't think you'd
>>> want to run it there anyway.
>> Guess I''m kinda dumb - only ran dw3 in the past - but how without GUI would
>> you select, and
>> unselect, which disk images to assign to which drive #. Does dw4 have a
>> console
>> command interface? Or can you run it remotely from the coco?
>>
> If you use OS9, you can manage all aspects of dw4 from the coco using
> the 'dw' utility that is on the dw flavored nitros9 disks.  For DECB
> it's theoretically possible but the software doesn't exist yet.
Shucks, most of my fiddling with coco is with DECB.......
Could always work out a way to switch the Kbd & Monitor, I guess.
Kludgey, but possible, maybe.

> You can also run the GUI on a different machine than the server, and
> that is what i'd recommend for the Pi.  The server will run on any
> machine with a JRE and the rxtx libs, more than 30 different systems
> last time I checked, however the GUI is a bit more picky, at least as
> I package it.  You can run the GUI on any supported platform
> (win/lin/osx * 32/64) and connect to the server over IP.
Hmmmm.
Could do that, but the beauty of the RPI would be 2 small boards
standing alone
and very portable. Guess I keep lurking the group and see if the GUI
will run
on the RPI in the future. That's pretty much what I was looking to find out
with my original question.

Meantime Linux on a credit card sized (almost) board is truly great.
My first Linux introduction was Slackware V0.90 - about 35-40 diskettes
- which
took hours to load on a 486 machine. More Carbon-Dated technology.......(-;

cheers,
johnd