[Coco] Interbank Incident for Drivewire ?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:30:18 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> Arthur Flexser wrote:
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why would it work with a CoCo 2 but not a CoCo 1?
>>
>> Art
>>

> Actually I don't know what will happen and made an assumption based on the
> NitrOS-9 project. If you look at the Level1/coco section, you will see that
> two types of disks get built, coco1_dw3.dsk and coco2_dw3.dsk. There is no
> such distinction for non-Drivewire disks.
>
> Aaron, Boisy, or Darren Atkinson would be the ones to ask about this
> difference, and what it is.

I believe this is because CoCo 1's need to run the bitbanger at only
38,400 bps due to instability, whereas the CoCo 2 can operate reliably
at 57,600.  The timing in the bitbanger output is determined by the
instructions in the driver, so its a different module.

> =====
>
>  There are some other things unusual about Drivewire. It makes use of $FF41
> and $FF42 as I/O ports and the DAC at $FF20. The first two do not correspond
> to any I/O ports I can find info about.

This is the "Becker/Boisy" interface used by the Coco3FPGA and
emulators.  It is a simple FIFO designed for situations where you have
external I/O processing capability (and it allows very high speeds
beyond anything the bitbanger can do).  Unless you load the dw3_becker
low level module (which cannot be used at the same time as the regular
bitbanger module) then there should be nothing accessing those
addresses AFAIK.