[Coco] SideKick 1.05 update

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:06:06 EST 2012

Some thoughts on adapting SideKick to the DrivePak... (yes, I'm thinking
out loud again...)

To expand on Luis' answer, Mark, if you're asking about Roger's creation
(if not I'm going to waste a lot of words...), the DrivePak O.S.,
CoCoNet, is really a hacked version of RS-DOS and doesn't handle
changing drives the same way as HDB-DOS/RGB-DOS. Luis (and other smarter
than I am) could probably confirm, or not, my fear that adapting
SideKick to the DrivePak would not be trivial. While you can assign any
of the DrivePak's virtual disks using the DRIVE x,xxx format, CoCoNet
doesn't handle those drives the same way HDB-DOS/RGB-DOS does. Using
DRIVE 0, 125 will assign one virtual disk (125 in this case) to a
logical device number (0-3). That gives you direct access to that image.

The command structure works the same way with CoCoNet and disk images
hosted on the PC as well - but the commands to mount a disk image on a
PC is about as friendly as a pissed off rattlesnake. Something like
DRIVE 0,!"C:\COCOIMAGES\GAMES\DONKEYKONG" would mount the Donkey Kong
image on my PC to DRIVE 0 in CoCoNet. Right now, if it's going to
continue in development, what CoCoNet needs more than anything is a DW4
like GUI on  the PC.

Below is some more out-loud thinking, trying to make sure I grasp
everything. (it's a clear indication I haven't spent NEARLY enough time
with my SuperIDE... ;-)   )

If I'm not mistaken, in HDB-DOS for the SuperIDE, you can have 4 drives
(is partition a better word?), and each drive can host 256 images.
Issuing a DRIVE ON turns on the physical floppy equipment (0-3) but you
still have access to the disk numbers 5-255 on the SuperIDE. DRIVE OFF
puts you back to all drives accessed thru the SuperIDE. DRIVE # n
switches to another drive number on the SuperIDE that hosts a different
set of 256 disk images. The offset calculation during the
SuperIDE/HDB-DOS set up also allows you to have drives (partitions?) set
up for NitrOS-9/OS-9 on the same storage media. Guru's out there, have I
missed anything?

I'm hoping to try out Luis' utility over the holiday - it looks very
helpful in managing images on the hard disk. I see a definite benefit
for SideKick's use on the SuperIDE , but, I can't see it being useful
for the DrivePak/CoCoNet in their current state of development. And
unless it's just the skeptic in me, I don't think it'd be easy to adapt.

There's supposed to be a new owner/developer for the DrivePak and
CoCoNet; supposedly they're working on past order fulfillment of the
DrivePak before taking new orders. At least, that's the answer I
received when I asked about it. I also asked about the possibility of
future development of CoCoNet - I have yet to hear anything on that at
all. It would be great if the people who were waiting for a DrivePak
would start reporting back when they start getting them. Or IF they
start getting them...

Later,

Brian

On 11/20/2012 2:25 PM, Luis Antoniosi wrote:
> looking to the drive pak commands it works different than hdb-dos.
>
> Instead of DRIVE 0-255, you should do DRIVE 0-3,0-255
>
> In this way only 4 drives will be visible and you cannot mount other
> images when in sidekick.
>
> Since I cannot emulate them in MESS or VCC, I won't be able to do it.
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Luis Antoniosi <retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't have one but AFAIK it will show only 4 drives as a regular FDC
>> right ? Or can you access any of the drives from basic like DRIVE 255
>> ? Dunno about the speed also.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Mark Ormond <markormond at mtxsystems.com> wrote:
>>> Any chance of a version that will run with the drivepak?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> later,