[Coco] OT: DMS/3

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:12:23 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net> wrote:

> Yes, I wonder how well computer hardware built in 2012 will work in 2041.
> Somehow I'd guess not as well as this computer from 1983 works in 2012!

I the main problem with keeping newer computers working as long as the old
ones is their dependance on some sort of storage media/battery to even
power up completely.  That the COCO.  It can operate totally fine with no
storage media.  As long as the power supply works, and the ICs have not
gone poof, it will work.  A new PC today requires a CMOS, 16GB to 20GB hard
drive (Windows 8 requirements) to even run.What are the chances of a hard
drive sill spinning 30 years form now when quality standards have fallen to
the point where if you get 5 years out of an item it s OK.