[Coco] Bill Gates and CoCo BASIC assembly book

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Nov 9 12:32:31 EST 2012

On Friday 09 November 2012 11:59:37 John Donaldson did opine:

> Gene, It the same today. The other day I was putting comments into a
> program that I was making a enhancement to and another programmer
> wander by and wanted to know what I was doing. I told him I was adding
> some comment lines so that the next programmer that looked at this
> section would know what was done. He looked at me a little confused and
> wander off. I have only worked at two companies where the
> Software/Engineering Manager dictated that we were to document our code
> via inline comments. Every place else I have worked including here
> (DEA) you only find occasional comments in a program.

I suppose they think smart programmers can figure out what they are doing,
but when I'm looking at a dis, when I do get it figured out, the comments
go in, and only come back out if my editor runs out of memory.  Sadly, that
was exactly the case when I was working on rbf all those years ago, putting
the stuff back in that Kevin D's "Christmas Present" release all those
years ago took out. That src code was so big that I was usually less than 1
kilobyte from out of memory launching that converted tsedit with a 56k
buffer.

The biggest thing of course was the ability to use bigger drives (we take
that for granted now) where a cluster of sectors is some power of 2.  That
code is quite stripped of comments, and in one case, a define that should
have been in the rbfdefs is hard coded.  My clue as to what to hard code
actually was an almost chance sentence in Kev's tan book "Inside" on os9.

Gawd help us if we ever lose or bit-rot that byte.  I didn't add it to the
rbfdefs at the time but should have.  In those days 15+ years ago I had an
attitude that the defs were carved in granite, carried down from the
mountain by Moses.

I've since conquered that fear because I had to do serious fixing in the
l51.defs, while writing joydrv_6551L.asm, lots of off by one mistakes,
particularly where bit positions v functions were concerned.  The sc6551
chip is buggy enough (like a 10 day old roadkill carcass) without telling
it to do something in the defs that is NOT what it says it does.  You can't
fix the chip, so obviously it was time to fix the defsfile.  And this is a
case of if I broke sacia, or whatever its called today, then it was time to
fix sacia. Generally its still working but there are parts of the 7 wire
protocol that do not, so we can't overrun it & let the hardware control the
flow like we could way back when.  I use /t2 to give me an os9 shell in
minicom on this machine.  But a vt-102 emulation and an os9 shell are at
odds about control stuff anyway so I can't run an editor or ded on it.
Sniff...

> JohnD

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #15
A:	The Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Q:	What was the greatest achievement in taxidermy?