[Coco] YAS (Yet Another Survey)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 3 15:49:14 EDT 2012

On Saturday 03 November 2012 15:30:58 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > So my question is, are there any other users of this os9/nitros9
> > serial mouse out there?
> >
> > Simply put, it takes an old ball type mouse that is either logitech or
> > M$ compatible, and gives you the most stable, precise mouse the coco3
> > and multiview have ever known.  It doesn't jump around like the
> > normal shack mouse, meaning when you click on a pixel, you click on
> > THAT pixel.  It also needs a serial port of the 6551 variety like an
> > rs-232 pack.
>
> I'm ashamed to admit I wasn't aware of this driver.  I've never used a
> mouse with OS-9 either, though.  What applications have worthwhile mouse
> interfaces?

All of multivue IIRC, and at one point 15 years ago before everythng got
stirred up, split up, and renamed,  the IcnEdit I was working on actually
used all 3 of the buttons.  Multivue however, since it was written for that
spastic one button shack mouse, only responded to the LMB when I last tried
it in 2008.

I would be surprised however, that mouse driven games would work with it
since for obvious reasons, the game folks wrote their own, better mouse or
stick routines.  One exception I can recall in os9 games, was Shanghai, I
played it many times using this mouse, way back when.  That was a great
game, but I haven't seen the author stick his head up on this list in
yonks.  To give credit where credit is due, that was Shawn Driscoll.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
BOFH excuse #36:

dynamic software linking table corrupted