[Coco] Has anyone done an Angry Birds port on the CoCo?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:41:05 EDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> computer such as the CoCo. Choosing the best compromises and getting the
> most from the available hardware is where the real skill of a "retro" games
> programmer lies.
>
> Sure, a CoCo3 won’t be able to create an exact copy of Angry Birds but that
> doesn’t mean to write off the project and stifle one's aspirations to try
> get as close to the original design as possibleand showcase their skills.
>
> For example, Zaxxon for the CoCo1/2 pales in comparison even to the original
> arcade game of 1982. It hasn't got the color, speed, smoothness or sound of
> the original but people thought Zaxxon for the CoCo 1/2 was a great
> achievement and admired seeing it run on their home computer.
>
> The CoCo is not a machine one would develop games to make money from today.
> Those days are over.The goal in porting games to older hardware is not about
> making a 100% copy but to try get as close as technically possible, to push
> the boundries of older and more limited technology, to showcase the
> programmers abilitiesand attempt to create the "impossible".
>
> Some of the skills that people have shown in all markets of older 8-bit
> systems fringes on the verge of magic and such attempts should be
> encouraged.
>
> Bring on the Angry Birds remakes!!

Absolutely!  Since I became involved with the CoCo a few years ago,
I've noticed a recurring negative "vibe".  I am absolutely not trying
to single anyone out, because I've seen it from many folks and
probably have done it myself.  It's easy to think "Well whats the
point?" when you look at programming from a business or practicality
stance as many of us often do.

Over these same past few years, many of my non CoCo friends, family,
etc have expressed interest in my new old hobby but again "whats the
point" usually comes up in one form or another.  In trying to explain
this many times to many people, I think I've finally sorted it out (in
my own head, at least).

The easiest way to explain it is simply that programming can be very
much like a sport, or a collection of sports.  Sure, some programming
is not, just like some physical exercise is not.  When I was in school
I spent several summers working on a horse farm, let me tell you that
wasn't sport.

If you tell somebody you're an Olympic sprinter, their first thought
probably isn't "sheesh, you know we have automobiles now.  what a
waste of time".  People can understand and respect the practice,
skill, physical development that goes into such a thing.  Sure, many
of those same attributes would get you a job as a parking valet, just
as programming can be used commercially, but that shouldn't detract
from the appreciation of skill that can be demonstrated in either
activity.

Sure, direct commercial activity on the CoCo is over, long gone (that
doesn't mean there aren't commercial opportunities.. just as a runners
buy fancy running shoes, a coconut needs his gear too!).  I don't
think that has any bearing on the validity or value of programming on
the CoCo for sport though.

$0.02
-Aaron