[Coco] Are MC68B09E's and HM63C09E's as well as various support chips still available?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Fri May 25 11:06:21 EDT 2012

I doubt you need a virtual machine with more than 512MB (at most 1GB)
for the Quartus stuff. That should run fine on a 4GB system.

That aside, with a minor bit of tinkering based on info in a forum
somewhere, I got Quartus II 10.1 running on Linux Mint 12. I might have
needed the 32 bit libraries but it's been too long and I don't recall.
Most of the tinkering was to get it to detect the hardware properly as
non-root. It found everything when run as root. The same tinkering got
it running on Ubuntu 11.4.

All that said, there is one piece of the Altera stuff that absolutely
requires Windows - the bit that allows programming the flash on the
board. It does work in a VM with sufficient configuration of virtual
devices, though.

Still, it was considerably harder than it should have been to get things
running.

I haven't tried 11.1 yet. It might be better. I know that 10.1 was a lot
better than the one that came on the CD which did something bizarre in a
shell script.