[Coco] DW, My Problem, sure

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun May 6 23:05:32 EDT 2012

I will take a guess.  Lets say you insert a regular disk image into
the first drive (actually drive 0), and do DIR on the CoCo:

You will see the contents of the disk image.  Normal enough.

Now you insert another disk image into the second drive, and do DIR 1:

You see a blank disk, not the contents of the image you inserted.  Why?

If this is indeed the problem, I can explain it.

This is because of the way HDBDOS historically considers each "disk"
to be actually a hard drive containing up to 256 disk images.
When you insert a disk image into drive 0, this by default maps *all*
drives on the coco to 256 slots inside that single disk image.

To actually see what is inserted in "drive 1" or "drive 2", you must
use the command: DRIVE # X  where X is the drive you want to see.
But, for instance if you do DRIVE # 1: now DIR 0 gives you the first
disk in the second drive.  It's all a bit bizarre if you're dealing
with the
single disk images commonly found online.

If you are using DW4, you can enable "HDBDOS translation".  This will
make drive X on the coco == the disk inserted in drive X in DW.
For using single disk images, this makes life much simpler.

Here is some documentation:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Using_DriveWire#HDBDOSMode