[Coco] Sound Chaser Multi-Format Music Player BETA

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 29 11:03:28 EDT 2012

On Friday 29 June 2012 10:41:21 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> I've been messing around with this today, very nice!  Ultimuse
> playback works perfectly over dw4 (the only thing I have to test with,
> no real midi interfaces for coco).

Yes, a previous test session 2-3 months ago worked well, but since none of
my stuff was moused in in GM format, the instruments were pretty well mix-
mastered.

> Would it be possible to run the player in a separate process so that
> the sndchaser interface was still usable?  That would allow the user
> to change output devices on the fly from within the program, queue up
> the next song maybe, that kind of thing.

UltimuseIII on the coco3 can actually use more than one output device
already, I had assigned (AIR) several of the instruments to the bitbanger,
and several to the converted to midi speeds rs232 pack, so at the time I
had a cable from the bitbanger plugged into an MT-240, and a cable from the
232 pack plugged into a CZ-101, which gave me 4 voices on the mt-240 and 8
voices on the CZ-101.  I could make quite a racket that was almost music,
the _almost_ because neither of those keyboards did velocity, from their
own keyboards or over midi.  Musically that is a huge shortcoming.  But I
didn't have the sheckles at the time for a sound canvas let alone a decent
Roland keyboard of the day.

I don't recall that UltiMuseIII even had that capability, does it?

With modern polyphonic midi devices (and our sound cards too) capable of 16
instruments each, it seems that a voice translator to reassign my non-std,
non-GM music instruments in the GM map would allow us to more accurately
play the music I moused in with such delight when it all actually worked
right here in this room nearly 20 years ago, would be a nice facility to
have.  Hint...