[Coco] (Probably stupid and newbie-ish) CoCo hardware question

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Thu Jun 28 10:21:25 EDT 2012

On 12-06-27 10:16 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> Legality may have been the motivating factor, but I doubt they'd have
> achieved nearly as good compatibility with prior software had they
> used another scheme.  All you need to do is switch the ROMs in and
> Super Extended Basic vanishes and you have a configuration that is
> extremely close to what the software expects from a CoCo 1/2.
>
> 90+ percent of the incompatibilities that do exist are probably due to
> putting a bunch of new secondary vectors just below $FF00, a
> completely independent design decision.  And, come to think of it,
> probably a dubious one.  Can anybody tell me why these secondary
> vectors were actually needed?   They certainly messed up compatibility
> with a lot of software that rewrote bytes at the top of memory in
> order to test memory size.

These secondary vectors were necessary to allow interrupts to still be
used when the MMU was in play. Otherwise, one would always have to have
valid vectors at $100 which would be annoying as it would clobber a
whole 8K page. These vectors combined with the ability to have FExx
constant no matter what the MMU said allows the interrupts to be
vectored through there and allow the rest of the 64K (63.5K) to be
swapped around at will. Pretty much everything designed for the CoCo3
that doesn't rely on DECB but uses interrupts uses the "secondary"
vectors, not the ones at $100. This particular design strikes me as a
compromise between allowing the MMU to be fully useful and causing some
incompatibility with software that actually used RAM at FExx. It might
have been nice to be able to turn that FExx vector table on and off
instead of always using it but that would have required a dynamic switch
of stuff at FFFx which is harder than it sounds.

Another possibility would have been to have the actual MPU vectors at
$FFFx writable but that would have been more complex I think, and the
RESET vector at $FFFE has to come from ROM anyway so that the machine
can have an execution address to use at boot time before anything has
had a chance to set the vector.

> Incidentally, the original Microsoft ROM code actually was changed in
> some minor ways, such as in redefining what DLOAD did, which if I'm
> remembering correctly was not done by patching.  (DLOAD does the same
> thing on a CoCo 3 as pressing reset.)

That's just an unfortunate consequence of the fact that a few patches to
the ROM had to work even in ROM mode so that compatibility with most ROM
paks could be maintained. There wasn't enough room anywhere else in the
ROM to clobber so they selected DLOAD as the least useful command and
clobbered it. Some of the code is the RESET code and some serves other
purposes. I give them credit for having DLOAD do something harmless
rather than crashing the system, though.