[Coco] How do you patch MESS to use PCs serial port?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 06:51:17 EDT 2012

There isn't any way to use rs232 in MESS that I know of.  The way I
communicate between DriveWire and MESS in the videos I make is via
TCP/IP.  John Linville wrote a patch for MESS that maps an address in
the emulated CoCo to a tcp socket.  DW4 can act as a tcp client or
server in place of using a serial port.

The patch is available on the DW4 download page.
https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/

I believe the patch (as written) only works on Linux systems.  I run
it in a VM on my windows machine. Additionally it only applies to a
specific version of MESS which is now rather outdated.  You could
probably adapt it to work with any other version but that is left as
an exercise to the reader.

This is something a lot of people have asked about and I know the
current situation is not ideal.  There may be a much easier option
available soon, but I think that is still being sorted out so I can't
promise anything there.