[Coco] (Probably stupid and newbie-ish) CoCo hardware question

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Jun 27 09:35:37 EDT 2012

On 6/26/2012 1:42 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> Frank, that's the first time I've heard that explanation for why the
> CoCo 3 runs in all-RAM mode.  (That Tandy had rights to use, but not
> modify, the Microsoft ROMs.)  It seems very plausible to me.  Do you
> know this for a fact, or is it just a reasonable conjecture?

I always assumed that it was done because that was the easiest way to
extend BASIC beyond the DISK BASIC ROM.

Both the BASIC and EXTENDED BASIC ROMs use a "patch" table in RAM that
allows them to be extended.

That same patch table allows ROM Extended Color Disk Basic to run in ROM
under the FLEX-09 using the FLEX-09 keyboard and screen I/O on a Color
Computer I/II.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network