[Coco] (Probably stupid and newbie-ish) CoCo hardware question

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon Jun 25 14:54:16 EDT 2012

The original CoCo 1s were in one way or another capable of using all 64k of
the standard 64k chips.  Some of the earlier ones has a switch (jumpers) for
selecting the top half or bottom half as the addressable portion addressed
by basic as a nod toward "half-good" 64k chips that never did gain any
significant market share.  Using the full 64k was a relatively simple matter
of wiring in an unused gate on a 74LS02.  By the last version of the CoCo 1
and all CoCo2s the addressing for use of the full 64k was in place.

Short answer; in all probability a 32k CoCo 1 or 2 is actually a 64k CoCo.
There is a program to test for 64k addressing out there somewhere.

Bruce W.