[Coco] Liber809 & Atari 130XE?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Jun 20 11:03:54 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Boisy & fellow collectors,
>
> IIUC the prototyping for Liber809 was done on a 130XE - yes?

Initially an XEGS, but we moved to a 1200XL, 800XL and 130XE.

> From what little I've been able to glean from Wikipedia etc, the 130XE appears to be the 'best' 8-bit Atari machine produced. Only the XEGS and the 800XE were produced later, but IIUC they are actually technically inferior.
>
> Is that the case?

I would tend to agree.  The 130XE has 128K of RAM as opposed to 64K for the others and also has a well built case and keyboard... better quality than the 800XL or 1200XL.

> I ask because there's a 130XE on offer and I'm considering buying it with a mind to (amongst other things) trying Liber809 sometime in the future. (It comes with a light gun, so Boisy I'll need you to write a light gun driver for NitrOS9) :)

If it's a decent price, then get it.  My 130XE is a great machine and the Liber809 board fits PERFECTLY in it.

A light gun driver... hmmmm :)