[Coco] Memory Expansion for the Coco 2

Computer Doc computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Fri Jun 15 22:41:38 EDT 2012

Tonym,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent data loss.  I certainly know how you
feel.  Several years back, I also lost everything on my main PC and just sat
down and cried my heart out.  I'm kind of emotional anyway, but that
certainly did not help matters at all.  Now of course, it's been fixed for a
while and many terabytes worth of downloads later, I have all the software I
had and more.  Later on I was able to get a quad-core laptop so I'm really
back in the running so to speak and doing very well.

To All,

Someone mentioned recently that they had expanded the memory in their Coco 2
beyond 64k.  Is this memory expansion compatible with OS9 Level I or Level
II?  I'm not as interested in the graphics portion of OS9 as much as I am
using OS9 for 6809 assembly language and C language development controlling
various types of circuits which I haven't dreamed up yet.  I'd also like to
experiment with a 2793 or 2797 disk controller chip so I can run some
version of OS9 Level I initially and later OS9 Level II on Grant Searle's
6-chip 6809 computer.  I have mine built now duplicating his design exactly.
I'm just waiting for my GP-4X Eprom Burner to burn his modified Extended
Basic code into an eprom and then I'll be firing it up for the first time!
That will be a glorious day!  Giving birth to my first home-built computer!
Kind of.  J He He He!  I'm really looking forward to it.  I finally received
my HD68B09EP and HD63C09EP chips from overseas!  J  Thank you all for the
tips on places I can order these 30 some odd year old chips from.  I'd like
to build a 6309 based system similar in design to the Grand Searle design
but using a monitor program written for the 6309 line of cpus.  Anybody know
of such a monitor?  Any ideas for 6309 code are welcome.  I'd like to think
someone has written at least a monitor by now.   I also received last week
MC68B21Ps with Motorola's logo and an M9N8602 date code, so there still
seems to be new Motorola chips overseas.  I built the 6-chip computer with
the EF68B09P chip a date code of W22DD9735.  It's an ST chip from Malta.  Is
Malta a country?  I also received a  couple of MC68HC11A1P chips I'd like to
play with.  I found a monitor for it on the internet.  I feel like I'm back
in my early years with my best friend when we were first learning
microprocessors.  We started with the Fairchild F8 evaluation board with 1k
of ram connected to an ASR-33 Teletype with paper tape reader and punch!  He
had to program a prom with a pattern he punched on to the paper tape which
was needed for a light controller he designed for running the colored lights
underneath the dance floor of the night club.  Those were the days.  We hand
assembled the program and entered it in using hexadecimal only.  Any of you
guys remember anything similar?  Somehow, I forgot about my interest in the
Motorola CPUs & Cocos  when I built my first PC.  It was a '286 based
system.   But, I'm glad I'm back.  Just a little history for you guys.  I
must admit I didn't ever expect to be able to order new Motorola chips these
days!  Thank you again.

Kip