[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Timothy Keith timothy.g.keith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:29:51 EST 2012

>> I've got agree about the direction that the popular linux distros are
>> taking. They're trying to create a windows like desktop and are getting
>> ugly, bloated and chew up resources. I've bailed on Ubuntu for that very
>> reason. Seems like it's being managed by a bunch of kids forcing their
>> favorite cool, geewiz ideas of what a desktop is supposed to be like on
>> everyone that uses ubuntu. Little to no ability disable their vision.

>Took the words right out of my mouth.  Talk about self-indulgent!  Can you
>imagine if even half that effort went into basic stability?

All of the popular operating systems have good points.  I enjoy using
Windows and Linux.  Linux is especially good when you are comfortable
working from the command line. Windows command line isn't that bad
either.   I use Debian at home, it tends to hang back with the proven code,
rather than the bleeding edge.  Linux can be "bloated" but for the most part
Linux is just the kernel.  You can install lots of stuff that isn't needed.
Or you can embed Linux in tiny devices.  I think it would be good if Microsoft
distributed a core Windows that was minimal, such that you could fatten it
up if you wanted to.  Windows is by nature more integrated than Linux.  You
can make a minimal Linux by using the rm command and shutting down
daemons.  Although 1 terabyte drives are common, a notebook could run
better when it was kept lean.  The tablet computers and smart phones
have an opportunity to take market share from desktops. Its all good to
me, nothing is perfect, otherwise we'd not have much work to do!