[Coco] Disk drive question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 18 22:25:59 EST 2012

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:11:29 PM Patrick Wilson did opine:

> I have a question for you gentlemen.  I started work on this some time
> ago and lost my momentum when i had to attack a project.  Here is the
> deal.  I have a number of CoCo 2 and 3, and one of the FD-501 sets.   I
> am trying to hook up a 3.5 along with the 5.25 but cannot get the
> drives to work properly.  I think i am safe in assuming i am doing
> SOMETHING wrong, but have no idea what at this point.  It appears that
> the drives are experiencing addressing conflicts.  But as i said, i am
> not sure.  You gentlemen have obviously overcome this sort of problem
> so i was wondering if you could profer some advice to help me get my
> issue corrected.   Any suggestions are welcome.
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

1. All 3.5" drives are programmed to be drive 1, and the twist in the end
section of a pc drive cable make it drive 0.

2. I have always attacked it as a cabling problem because the shack
supplied cables have missing contacts in the card edge connectors.

That means I disassemble the connectors by removal from the cable and
obtain some that have all 34 contacts installed, and install those in their
place.  With a card edge to DIL drive adapter for the 3.5" drive, put it on
the middle connector, and check the jumpers on the 5.25" drive to assure
that the jumper is only on the set of pins labeled DS0.  There are probably
other jumpers too but don't disturb them. There may not be terminators on
the 5.25" drive if it had been previously used as an E drive (2nd floppy on
a pc.) in which case a set should be scrounged and installed.  There may be
two in single inline format, or one in DIL format, looks like an integrated
circuit socket, depends on the style of sockets for them on the 5.25"
drive.

If you've done it right, you should see only the led on the drive being
addressed come on when you do a "dir0" or "dir1", 0 being the 5.25" and 1
being the 3.5".