[Coco] 50 pin SCSI adapters?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:09:40 EST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Robert Hermanek wrote:

> I like playing with my TC^3 controller.  My last ancient SCSI harddrive
> bit the dust the other day.  I'd like to find a way to adapt some modern
> equipment to the 50 pin scsi-2 standard so I could plug them into my
> TC^3...
>
> 1)  If I got an IDE drive or SSD, anyone know of an IDE to SCSI adapter?
> 2)  If I got SATA drive or SSD, is there a SATA to SCSI adapter?
>
> I find quite a few things on searches, but they are lots of $$$ and of
> course the SCSI is not referring to the old 50 pin, but the newer
> standards.  Any thoughts people have would be greatly appreciated.

A few years ago, ATA<-->SCSI adapters (50-pin and otherwise) were
reasonable inexpensive.  Now, you'll have to watch eBay.

I've never seen an SATA<-->SCSI adapter - at least not for 50-pin SCSI.

If I were you, I'd pickup a newer wide-SCSI drive (plentiful on eBay and
from other internet sources) and a 50-to-68pin SCSI adapter (also an
inexpensive part).

Another possibility:  A SCSI memory-card reader.  See:

http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_79&products_id=180

I have a couple of these and they should be compatible with the TC^3
(never tried it - they were bought for my Amiga). I don't recall if the
TC^3 understands LUNs, so you may have to use a PCMCIA<-->CF (or SD)
adapter to ensure the storage device ends up on LUN 0.  He's down to the
last 14 units, so if it looks like an answer for you I wouldn't wait too
long.

Steve