[Coco] window surprise

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 17 16:27:19 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:23:21AM -0600, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> Only some ANSI terminals will answer about the size.  That sequence was
> not implemented in the original VT100.  Also only the early terminals
> will not report all their capabilities.

It's a messy question with no simple, user-friendly answers.  The
_UNIX Hater's Handbook_ devotes an entire chapter to the mess that
resulted from supporting all terminals equally badly... ESR points out
that, under UNIX, the entire question is obsolete -- ANSI and xterm
are the only ones still used and phyiscal terminals are a thing of the
past.  Which is where OS-9 is arriving...

And I'm not exactly the expert.  :-(  Last time I tried to telnet into
my linux box from my Amiga I couldn't even remember the commands to
convince linux that the mostly ANSI window was 78x16 (or whatever it
was).

> One way that might work to find out the current screen size on older
> terminals:

Bleah.  What a mess.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org