[Coco] Backup of HDB-DOS drives

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 17 06:14:02 EST 2012

On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 05:56:22 AM Bruce W. Calkins did opine:

I wrote a dd.b09 3 or 4 years ago, but I haven't inflicted it on anyone
else as it is very very slow for some reason even with verify turned off on
the target disk.  Its a bit tricky because after the first sector, lsn0 has
been written, os9 throws up a disc change error, so you have to write that
sector, close the path, and re-open it before os9 will allow the image to
continue to be written.  I'm sure there is a magic twanger that will write
at a decent speed, usually in odd values of interleave from the default of
3, but that then slows the subsequent read performance too.

On the face of it, a simple "copy #56k /d0@ /d1@" should work, but the disk
change error kills it quickly.

For installing a new nitros9 release, I have been known to trick a second
HD descriptor into thinking the .dsk image, once sz'd to the drive, was a
separate floppy, and did the install without ever writing a floppy with
that .dsk image.  But to make that work I believe you need to be using the
Superdriver disk system which can do 'partition' offsets.

Lots of creative ways to skin that cat.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Surly to bed, surly to rise, makes you about average.