[Coco] Reading coco disks

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Jan 7 09:27:28 EST 2012

Bill Pierce wrote:

> Ok guys,
>   What is the best software for reading Coco disks. I have both a 5 1/4"&  3 1/2" drives. I will be running Windows Server 2003 (XP core) on a pentium 4 with Intel motherboard. I can run a VM Box for MSDOS if needed. I just want to get the stuff from the disks to the PC. I do not (at this time) want to write to the disks.
>
> Also, any advice on setting up the drives (bios ect.)?
>
> Thanx ahead of time
>
> Lots of new stuff... more coming...
> Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2&  3
> Bill Pierce
> ooogalapasooo at aol.com

If you want to extract/write files to/from Coco floppies and a PC under WinXP,
your best bet would be OmniFlop.exe by Jason Watton.
http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

If you don't care about transferring files but just want access, you can do that
with the VCC emulator after installing fdrawcmd.sys. The home site for VCC is
gone but it is now hosted at
http://www.coco4.com/vcc/index.shtml

If you would rather emulate Win95 on a WinXP system with VirtualPC or similar
software, then the utility in the JVC Coco emulator, PORT.EXE, will give access
to real floppies.