[Coco] DriveWire 4 - Version 4.0

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 02:31:06 EST 2012

It's done.. almost.

https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/

There is one feature disabled: the advanced configuration editor.  Its
a beast, and has been holding everything else back.
The software is still quite usable without it, as the simple wizard
will walk you through the basic configuration and the
config file can always be edited by hand or manipulated from the CoCo
using dw commands anyway.

Speaking of config files...  things have changed.  Configs from all
previous versions will not work well with this and future versions.
I tried to avoid this but early mistakes have taken a toll and it's
time to fix things.  I hope it's not too inconvenient.  If you have
created an elaborate configuration that you're attached to, let me
know and maybe it can be edited in place to work with the new version,
but it isn't trivial.

Enough bad news, the good news is:

New easy guided setup wizard thing to help you get started
New fancy pants graphics everywhere
Simplified interface that makes managing disks very easy
New DW Browser for the easiest Internet -> CoCo process ever.
Added support for DMK, JVC and VDK images
Local server built right into client
Lower memory use/better performance
A single package now supports Win/Lin/Mac/BSD in 32 or 64 bit flavors.
 Maybe not a big deal to most folks, but very very nice for me
RXTX is built in and the libpaths are mangled automagically so it
"just works".. no more worrying about what craziness your linux distro
has done to it's Java.
Built in bug reporting.. when things go wrong, just push the button to
send me everything I need to know.  Or don't.. privacy is fully
respected.
Countless minor improvements and fixes

I also added a little thank you to lots of the folks that have helped
me with the project in the Help.. About area.

-Aaron