[Coco] Coco 3 with problems, can anyone help me troubleshoot?
haywire666 at aol.com
haywire666 at aol.com
Sat Feb 11 20:20:03 EST 2012
1) I have a ccr radio shack cassette I just got from cloud9.
2) When I use audio on commands I can hear stuff from the tape, but its been years since I heard a data tape. Sounds right from what I recall.
3) When I cload, the tape indeed starts, I get an S in the upper left corner of the screen. The tape stays on forever. The machine's state never changes, even when I left it for an hour.
4) I don't have a prerecorded tape to check. I am just now getting back to cocos (My first computer love) after many years off...
5) I don't think its high speed poked, I boot the computer the cursor looks regular speed, when I try it from clean cold boot this happens.
6) Someone else suggested pulling and cleaning the contacts of the gime chip. Just got back from radio shack, got an extraction tool... so I'm trying that now.
Pulled the chip, both the chip and the sockets contacts look really dingy and dirty... so I hope maybe thats it. I'm going to go work on this now will post results.
Thanks for everyone's help... Hopefully my poor coco3 will be feeling much healthier soon!
From: Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 6:54 am
Subject: Re: [Coco] Coco 3 with problems, can anyone help me troubleshoot?
You might narrow down things by using the AUDIO ON command to see if
the tape sounds normal when it is saving and when you attempt to load
Also, make sure you aren't in the double speed mode; the cassette
routines must be patched to work properly at that speed.
When you say it "just hangs", I assume you've verified that the tape
is advancing properly? Do the MOTOR ON and MOTOR off commands
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM, <haywire666 at aol.com> wrote:
> I have a color computer 3 with some problems. I thought it was a cold solder
joint or something. Occasionally it would not boot right (I'd get a garbage
screen) The real problem however is that once its working, I can save programs
with csave to cassette, but when I try cload, I get an S on the upper left
corner of the screen and then it just hangs.
> Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone give me some trouble shooting tips?
Not being able to save programs (just bought a cassette for that purpose) is
driving me kind of nuts.
> Coco mailing list
> Coco at maltedmedia.com
Coco mailing list
Coco at maltedmedia.com
More information about the Coco