[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:10:24 EST 2012

On 12/4/2012 5:52 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> The way I do a similar thing w/ SuperIDE + DW is to put the
> HDBDOS/SIDE rom in one flash bank, the HDBDOS/DW rom in another,
> Beretta's CoCoBoot in a third, and of course Downland in the fourth.

I haven't had the time to play with CoCoBoot yet - it's on my to do list...

> I then set the SuperIDE to boot HDBDOS/SIDE by default and have 3 tiny
> programs on disk 0, one each for switching to DW, CoCoBoot, or
> Downland.

I started doing this as well a while back. Had HDB-DOS/SuperIDE as
default like you do in one flash slot; CoCoNet in another (worked fine
like that); HDB-DOS for DriveWire in another and the 4th was empty. I
used it for testing other ROM's like the Plu 'n Power ROM. Used a Basic
program to switch whenever I needed to.

> So I turn on the coco or press reset and have access to the
> HDBDOS DECB drives.  I type: run"dw" and I have access to all the DW
> content, etc.  It works well and its super simple.

Yep - that's what I liked about the set up.

> The one place
> where this scheme does stink is in copying content from SIDE to DW in
> BASIC.  (I actually never do this anyway, but if I wanted to it would
> be a bit of a chore).  Wired is nice for that task.

It is a chore..

> CoCoBoot also has the ability to boot from or copy disks between any
> of: DW, SuperIDE, real floppy, ram, more?  That, and many more cool
> abilities.
> Perhaps this is the "super HDBDOS" or part of the puzzle, although of
> course its not BASIC.

Yeah, isn't it Forth? Should have some time during the Christmas break
to look at CoCoBoot.

> OTOH, who wants to manage disk images using
> BASIC?  Bleh :)

Obviously I do! ;-)

> Tools like wired or cocoboot can do this fine I
> think.

Will try them both at some point...

Send me your address - off list - so I can send you this FD-501 that's
taking up space on my desk... ;-)

Brian