[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

Paulo Lindoso paulo.lindoso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:56:59 EDT 2012

Hi List,

It's completely off-topic, but since it seems there are a few Electronic
Engineers in the list, I hope you can shed some light here...

I have installed a Cat6 cable between two extremes at my place to build a
network bridge.  The cable extends itself for about 60m (that 180ft
roughly), which means it's  well within Ethernet parameters (100m,
right?)...

The problem is: when tested with a standard wire tester (for electrical
connectivity), it passes; when you hook it to a router on one end and a
computer on the other, it doesn't work. It doesn't pick up an IP address
through DHCP and even if I force an IP within the network range, traffic
doesn't flow.  On my Mac, it shows it is "Connected", but nothing happens...

I have changed plugs (cut the ends, re-wired with new RJ45), router and
tested with a different computer to no avail... so I am really at a loss,
here...

Can any of the EEs in the "house" shed me some light or give me any hint?
 Is there any other Ethernet limitation I am not aware?

Thanks for any help!

Paulo

Paulo Lindoso
paulo.lindoso at gmail.com
http://about.me/pbal<http://email.about.me/wf/click?c=e86tqVWFYsEogZdu8cwmbpAZwRtFkPjZS8Z3nwSDfjU%3D&rp=TDQggGXPgxMn1%2FQoMR%2F7Bsr00fO9wne%2B4zDSBQ93vWI1BH%2FOlrnU7zrQ0H0iAWgQyYyB6YfryJhLcifwbBLZ98yd6yex7cp06Yzq3Q1SplHrq%2FIu7OFPSwv8LqPdUbWL&u=njPbVRRXSvmg3PMz9cXBSg%2Fh0>