[Coco] cprep19 __FILE__ fix?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed May 25 20:22:15 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 25, 2011 08:15:20 PM Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 02:49:23PM -0700, Michael Furman wrote:
> > Willard, I looked into this a few months ago.  Off the top of my
> > haead:
> >
> > 1) I have some source for the Krieder C library, but when I
> > 1) assembled it, it was not exactly the same as binary copies
> > 1) floating around.  This reduces my confidence that the resulting
> > 1) clib after hacking will actually work properly, and makes it
> > 1) difficult to generate a patch that will always work.  The date
> > 1) command returns the correct year.
>
> Bleah.  I'm still trying to debug curses, I'm not about to start
> messing around with clib.
>
> > 3) I took a look at Nitros9's date command and it has some Y2Kish
> > 3) stuff there but it's not clear if it works correctly.  The
> > 3) algorithm there seemed a bit convoluted or worked the problem
> > 3) backwards (from my perspective) for some unknown reason (to
> > 3) optimize it? for 8-bit math apparently?).  The comment in
> > 3) date.asm is from Grandpa Gene:
> > *   5      1996/09/25  Gene Heskett
> > * Made Y2K compliant.
>
> I believe there was some trouble about making sure <2000 dates in file
> timestamps and things like that didn't break, but I don't really
> remember the discussion, I just used the results.
>
> Gene?  Any comments?

ISTR I worked on the date command to add an offset of 100 if it was before
1980 or so.  It WILL eventually break, but likely long after they boil me
done & burn the remains.

> > 4) It appears that Nitros9 keeps a 1-byte year,

This has been true since os9 version 1.00.  Every byte of the DP0 page was
allocated from the gitgo, so there is no room to expand.

> > so this is what one
> > 4) would expect F$Time to return.  According to OS9Defs:
> > D.Time         equ       .                   System Time
> > D.Year         rmb       1

And ISTR the clock module constrains that byte to a $00 to $63 value.

> Heh, gonna be trouble in 2157, or maybe even 2028 if something tries
> to look at that as a signed number.

Either way there won't be a lot I can do about it by then...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Martin's Extension: