[Coco] How much of a CoCo makes it a CoCo?

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Wed Jul 6 20:37:36 EDT 2011

I know some people like the actual appearance and feel of the real
hardware, I know that most probably do, if for no other reason than
Nostalgia, and that's fine. Still, I'd accept an emulator as a replacement
if it ran 100% like the real thing and if I could add the necessary
hardware to it such as game controllers that worked well. My only real
gripe about the emulators, is that I haven't found one that can actually
run all the CoCo software just like the CoCo at true normal speeds and
sound emulation has been mediocre in my opinion. To, me that's the only
real thing that turns me off on the emulators. If one was designed and
running on hardware inside a CoCo case that I couldn't tell the difference
if I came up and started using a game or program on it, then I'd be ok with
using it instead of real hardware. I've yet to see that. Games like Zaxxon,
Grabber and some others just don't play as well on the emulators as the
real thing. Some are ok, but speed always seems to be an issue and they
don't always feel as responsive. I've recently unboxed my CoCo 3 because of
that.

I'd also be ok with a small unit as someone else suggested since today's
technology would easily allow that.

That's my 2 cents.

Steve