[Coco] Cococompatible monitors...

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 4 12:40:40 EDT 2011

Hi Gene,

On 3/07/2011 11:37 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, July 03, 2011 09:13:16 AM John Kent did opine:
>
> The gime's pallette is somehow extracted from a 2 bit d/a on each color,
> for a 4 level per color lashup.  Now if this FPGA in a Spartan 3 could just
> drop into the gime socket, I could get interested.  Real interested.
> Running a 63C09, and a 2 meg disto memory kit, all on an old AT power
> supply, I have nearly zero heat, the gime is the warmest chip in it, and
> the power use in that socket could go up to several watts with a suitable
> heat sink.

The Spartan 3 would not be a direct drop in. It would need to be mounted
on a daughter board with some sort of pin header arrangement for the
GIME chip. It would also need on board 5v to 3.3V bus switches to make
it 5V compatible as well as some regulators, bypass caps and so on and
perhaps an oscillator chip if the GIME has a crystal oscillator circuit
built in.

Power consumption and heat dissipation shouldn't be a problem at the
sort of clock rates the GIME chip is running at. Most low cost FPGA
boards running with a 50MHz clock don't require cooling, in fact the
FPGAs in the systems I have designed barely get warm. The entire DE1
board can be powered by a USB socket, i.e. uses less than 500mA or less
than 2.5W and that includes all the peripheral chips such as SDRAM,
SRAM, Flash, RS232 and audio codecs and so on. Most of this is running
off 3.3V so about 1/3 of the power is dissipated in the regulators.

I'm not sure about the GIME chip, but the 6809 I think was originally NMOS.

There is a Spartan 3 power calculator here:

http://www.origin.xilinx.com/cgi-bin/power_tool/power_Spartan3

The Spartan 3 runs off 1.2V, 2.5V and 3.3V by the looks of it. Current
consumption at a guess would be under 100mA depending on what clock
rates the logic was working at. Not all of it would be working at 25MHz.
You need to synthesize the design to get an accurate estimate of the
power consumption.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au