[Coco] dumb profs wasRe: trig.h

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 07:07:16 EST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Willard Goosey wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:34:42PM -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>
>> University of Vermont (my alma-mater) dropped Assembly Language and
>> Machine Organization as a required course in the CS curriculum.  Just
>> incredible.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty mind-blowing.  It's all object-this and abstract
> that.  But eventually, at the bottom of all those layers of code, the
> machine is still "load a register."  "add 1."  "store register."

As I said, it has begotten 50MB binaries that require 1GB of memory to run
and execute like a snail even at that.  Before being turned loose on the
world to code The Next Big App, all new CS grads should be exposed to
something like, e.g. WordStar running on a 48k Z80 machine and asked to
think about it for a moment.

Steve