[Coco] Floppy Drive Speed Test Wav and MP3 files

Sun Aug 28 01:22:20 EDT 2011

Hi,

Shortly after posting the "*.BAS" from the second disk for OS-9 Level-I
(Renamed to DSPEED.BAS) I realized that if the CoCo had no disk drive that
can read disks, the program cannot be used to adjust the disk speed to make
reading disks possible.

I finally found the utility to convert a ".cas" file to a ".wav" file and
then it was easy to convert to MP3.

The utility was in Jeff Vavasour's CoCo2 emulator Version 1.6.

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/download/coco2-16.zip

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/trs80.html#coco2

-----------------------------

To create a .WAV file from a Virtual cassette file, use the command:

CASOUT /W filename[.CAS]

at the MS-DOS prompt, where "filename" is the name of the virtual cassette
created within the emulator. When prompted, give a name for the .WAV file
you will be creating. You can then play this .WAV file on your PC and
record the audio to a cassette recorder connected to your SoundBlaster.

With the MP3 file copied to a mp3 player, just connect the player to the
CoCo using the standard cassette cable.

If someone can test if this actually works, then the MP3 file can be placed
on a web site for CoCoers to test their disk drive speed.

The DSPEED.BAS program can also be loaded into a CoCo using Drivewire if the
CoCo has that connection.

SHF