[Coco] Coco3 System problem

john T Chasteen johnchasteen.2 at juno.com
Sat Aug 27 17:37:50 EDT 2011

Thanks Gene

I am printing this e-mail and try what you suggest.

I think my neighbor has a strobe light.
What are there Specification on RPM ?
I thought I will try this next week.
I am trying to keep my coco working .
As soon as things get back to normal I want to
get DRIVEWIRE3 operating and learn how to use the system.

John

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:25:05 -0400 gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
writes:
> On Saturday, August 27, 2011 05:07:28 PM john T Chasteen did opine:
>
> > I finally had to take the 5.25 inch floppy drives out of their
> case.
> > Drive
> > Zero finally refused to read disk or format disk. I changed he
> option
> > clips
> > on drive one and optioned it to be drive zero. The failed floppy
> unit
> > will
> > still spin and the select light comes on but I cant format or
> read
> > diskettes.
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated in trying to "Fix" this floppy
> drive
> > problem.
> > I did use a "Cleaning Diskette"  to see if that would help.
> > I am sure I can replace the floppy with one that is still good.
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > John
> >
> The amount of power for moving the head is miniscule in most
> floppies, and
> precisely moving the head depends on the lubrication and cleanliness
> of the
> rails or rods the head carriage slides on.  And in those drives that
> use a
> small stepper direct driving a long screw with spiral threads, and
> usually
> a small piece of piano wire riding in that spiral, the spiral needs
> to have
> all that 25 year old hardened grease cleaned out of its grooves and
>
> replaced with fresh grease.  I have used a dollop of std grease gun
> grease
> on several occasions, and had even had to remove the wire and turn
> it when
> it can be felt that there is wear enough that the 'threads are
> sloppy'.
> There is, on that type of drive mechanism, a bronze spring that
> rides the
> far side of the 'screw', and in the case of the amiga drives, has
> worn so
> badly that it wore plumb thru and then dug into the screw preventing
> the
> motor from backing up!
>
> You will need a fresh box of q-tips, and/or an acid brush, and a can
> of
> acetone (obviously no smoking when the can is open) to clean out
> that old
> caked in grease.  Use the acid brush to poke at it and break it up,
> the the
> q-tip to remove it.  Do NOT put the dirty q-tip back in the acetone
> can,
> but grab a fresh one every time, they are cheaper by far than the
> acetone.
>
> If that doesn't do it, along with a swipe or 4 across the heads face
> with
> the acetone to clean it, then something else has gone aglay.

> [...]

"Life is like riding A bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep
moving"
Albert Einstein