[Coco] Anyone else collect other old computers/game consoles beside the Coco?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:21:39 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> As for DW on a 68k board, I have not checked, but since I expect the m68k
> versions of linux, uclib equipt because most of those machines do not have
> a memory manager chip at all, might be able to build java, at which point
> DW4 written in java might accidentally work.  I think it is something that
> should be investigated, and will if and when I can get an external PSU
> cobbled up for the A4k/060 machine I brought home from the tv station a
> year ago.  Maybe this winter when the garage workshop has been commandeered
> by Dee & the Toyota.  Right now its mid-project, making seating/storage
> benches to go around a neighbors nearly 10 foot long dining room table. ;-)

 think we were talking about adding DW client capabilities to
OS9/68k, not running the DW server on a 68k board.
However, thats interesting too.  Although theoretically the DriveWire
4 server can run on anything that have a JVM,
I'm not sure if a 68k would be practical.  The smallest/slowest
computer I have run the server on so far is a linksys router
which has a 133Mhz, 32 bit ARM processor and 8MB ram.  It actually
works fine, but certainly slow to start up and uses
nearly all the available ram and good chunk of CPU time.  I think much
less and we'd hit the point where even if it technically
is running, its too slow to be actually useful.

-Aaron