[Coco] C Compiler Website / Archive Question

Fri Aug 26 20:55:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

I assume that you are talking about the K&R C book, as I said before, only R
in in the PDF I found on RTSI.

Does someone have a printed copy of K&R C book?

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Wolfe" <aawolfe at gmail.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] C Compiler Website / Archive Question

I noticed the C Compiler manual on cococoding.com was not yet OCR'ed.
I ran it through the usual process and replaced the file previously
there with the updated version.  It did a decent job, for instance,
page 1 copied and pasted:

The ncn programming language is rapidly growing in popularity
and seems destined to become one of the most popular programming
languages used for microcomputers. The rapid rise in the use of C
is not surprising. C is an incredibly versatile and efficient
language that can handle tasks that previously would have required
complex assembly language programming.

C was originally developed at Bell Telephone Laboratories as an
implementation language for the UNIX operating system by Brian
Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. They also wrote a book titled "The C
Programming Language" which is universally accepted as the standard
for the language. It is an interesting reflection on the language
that although no formal industry-wide "standard" was ever developed
for C, programs written in c tend to be far more portable between
radically different computer system as compared to so-called
"standardized" languages such as BASIC, COBOL, and PASCAL. The
reason C is so portable is that the language is so inherently
expandable that if some special function is required, the user can
create a portable extension to the language, as opposed to the
common practice of adding additional statements to the language.
For example, the number of special-purpose BASIC dialects defies all
reason. A lesser factor is the underlying UNIX operating system,
which is also sufficiently versatile to discourage
nonstandardization of the language. Indeed, standard C compilers
and Unix are intimately related.

Fortunately, the 6809 microprocessor, the OS-9 operating
system, and the C language form an outstanding combination. The
6809 was specifically designed to efficiently run high-level
languages, and its stack-oriented instruction set and versatile
repertoire of addressing modes handle the C language very well. As
mentioned previously, UNIX and C are closely related, and because
OS-9 is derived from UNIX, it also supports C to the degree that
almost any application written in C can be transported from a UNIX
system to an OS-9 system, recompiled, and correctly executed.

If thats of use to you, enjoy and distribute any way you like, as far
as I am concerned :)