[Coco] Gene, heads up again, I cannot access your site.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Aug 22 00:20:23 EDT 2011

On Monday, August 22, 2011 12:04:33 AM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry Gene, no-go.

Humm.  So it works for me, and still does.  But no when your machine wants
to access it because its your machine that would need that new entry in its
hosts file.  That would work, but asking 300 people to edit their hosts
file is asking an awful lot to those not fam with the *nix way of doing
things.

Ok, does anyone know if I could set an environment var to that address, and
then us it in the pages scripts, replacing the hard coded
gene.homelinux.net string in the scripts with the env var's name?

> Perhaps you can get someone to mirror your site or offer to host it
> allowing you to control content.

googlebot crawls in daily if not more often, but I expect it is having
trouble with that ip resolution.

> I have noted several persons that have offered to do this for other
> persons on the CoCo list.
>
> Why fight an ISP that says don't do that anyway.

Principle.  According to the common carrier rules & regs, they cannot block
anything, even spam is a grey area.  But the blockage of incoming port 80,
forcing one to put their web pages on the ISP's web server where they can
be wrapped up in visual spam, is so universal the Friendly Candy Company
ignores it, knowing full well that visual spam translates to a lower cost
for a monthly account.  Since port 80 is blocked, and port 85 isn't
reserved for a service that I have been able to find a reference to, I used
it to get around the port 80 block.  I could just as easily have used the
https port, 8080 I guess, and AFAIK they do not block that.  That however
is not the instant problem.

BTW, I assume the text portion of the page did load ok, but since all the
links are broken, no images.  Correct?  Please check that as I'll possibly
need that tomorrow while I yell at them about their dns servers.