[Coco] Gene, heads up again, I cannot access your site.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Aug 21 23:21:48 EDT 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 Stephen H. Fischer did write:

Privately, but I have added the maltedmedia list back in because everyone
might as well know it.

> Hi,
>
> Sunday, 8/21/2011 10"29 Am PDT.
>
> SHF

I am aware of that Stephen.  My dd-wrt install went sour and I cannot
access it due to what it thinks is the wrong pw.  So I went to Wallies and
bought another router early last week.  I couldn't make it work correctly
via email between netgear and I so they asked me to call Saturday, which I
did, but I had to give them the serial number of the unit before they would
let a tech talk to me.  The upshot was that 20 minutes later the tech was
interrupted for a short consultation, then informed me the unit was out of
warranty as it had been originally registered by a James Radcliff back in
2010.

So I packed it back up, went up to Staples for another router, bringing a
Cisco E2500 home, which is for some reason pretty slow at negotiating new
connections.  I have not attempted to setup the DDNS in it yet, primarily
because DynDns is being difficult.  I was on verizons DSL when I signed up
for that free account several years ago now, and even when I get the
username & password correct, they think I am someone else trying to take
over that domain name and bounce the requests.  I even tried to setup a
paid registration last Thursday but "that name is taken".  Since there
seems to be no practical way to go back to vz service, even long enough to
fix this, I believe I'll probably have to "drop the card" for a grade of
service that will get me email or phone support, probably with a different
domain name.  Hopefully that will be fixed in a day or two, and I will post
a new URL when it is working again.  That will also require a lot of the
pages being edited to change the domain name to look for the pix etc to the
new version of it.  That is a PIMA to me too. :(  Sorry.

Thinking out loud here, I may be able to use an ip address for a bit as its
fairly stable, by temporarily adding the net address and name to my
/etc/host file, I did find yesterday that I could at least load the text of
the front page by that method, which blew up fetching the rest of the pages
content because they were asked for by name, not ip.

Let me see if I can make that work 100%. bbl.  Yes, that seems to work for
the time being, at least the whole front page loads now at
<http://204.111.25.156:85/gene/>
until my ip changes because of the lease renewal.  Or I can get a new
account at DynDns.com.

Everyone please edit your bookmarks according to the above, at least till I
get this sorted and a legit domain name setup again.  To repeat:

<http://204.111.25.156:85/gene/>

Should get you there.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will visit the Dung Pits of Glive soon.