[Coco] Curious game no coco

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Thu Apr 14 15:28:35 EDT 2011

Looking over the game play, the Scrolling effect could be done on the
CoCo 3 but would take two screen buffers of 68k each.  (This is like the
scrolling effect in the game Marty's Nightmare, but you would need the
infinite screen scroll to get the height of a level in the game.)

The water effect is from many small blocks that act like water.  The
logic looks simple...

When a water block hits something in path, it looks for a new "open"
direction to travel.  Each new direction is weighted with how likely the
water would flow that way with a bit of randomness.  The water block
picks the most weighted direction from the list and moves that way.

This type of logic is easy for the CoCo to do for 10 or 20 water blocks
on the level.  But this game has hundreds (if not 1000's) water blocks
that would slow the game to just a few frames per second.  (Not very
playable.)

This is another case of game design that had to wait for a more power
computer then those made back in the 80's.

Steve