[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 16 21:24:14 EDT 2010

On 17/09/2010 4:03 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I really hate all this stuff that uses Microsoft proprietary components
> like the .NET frame work and Visual Studio.

I know exactly where you're coming from Frank, and I couldn't agree more.

At the risk of offending any Microsoft fanboyz out there, IMHO anyone who
trumpets the benefits of the whole .NET, VS, C# whatever bloatware garbage
development environment has lived a relatively sheltered life as far as
development goes.

I suspect the majority of those use M$ exclusively and primarily for one
particular type of development, be that desktop application, distributed
web-aware applications, or other boring turnkey been-there done-that
application. When you invest 8 hrs per day every day in using it, then it
becomes less and less painful as the years pass.

OTOH, from the perspective of a developer who works on across a large number
of platforms from PIC micros through to PCs and writing everything from
embedded controllers through to linux/windows device drivers and 'desktop'
applications, attempting development in M$ is one of the most painful
experiences known to mankind.

Sure, fire up VS and with a "hello world" template you might have a basis
for something in a few minutes. But try doing that on a machine with the
Windows DDK, WDK, Platform SDK and VS all installed - and you want to port
some existing code into that environment. Some of the problems hit you
immediately, and it can take hours if not days just to get some "working"
code compiling on your system. Conflicting headers is a great example.
Cryptic compilation/link errors that take *hours* to find the one switch or
header or whatever is another. What's this manifest garbage? What's all this
managed bullshit? Just give me a frickin' exe I can run. Oh I need more
DDLs? I can't run it from a network drive? Arrgghh!!!!

You may chuckle if you can resolve all these in seconds. But my job often
necessitates doing quick, bare-bones testing/development on different
platforms. I don't have TIME to spend 4 days on a program that would take 2
hours to write under any other environment. It's laughable until I find I
have no other choice for a particular job.

So fanboyz, boast away that in three lines of code you can launch an editor,
play a movie and pull a web page off the other side of the world. No matter
that source tree is 34MB and your app requires half of the entire windows
distribution in memory. And only runs on machines with .NET framework
installed and flash player 14 and IE and the latest hotfixes and whose
owners have a cat named Felix.

Bleh!