[Coco] Deskmate 3 article link

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 02:28:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:04:55PM -0400, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I wonder why Tandy even bothered with the coco and coco3.
>
> Or, at least, why it was the machine it was.  I can see wanting to
> cash in on the color-TV-using low-end 8-bit market, but why did a Z80
> house like Tandy/Radio Shack suddenly put out a 6809 machine?  (I'm
> very glad they did, but it still seems strange!)  A color version of
> the Model I/III would have been more expected.

The use of the 6809 came out of the relationship between Tandy and
Motorola.  Their are a few different versions of the story floating
around.  There was some sort of project to provide agricultural
clients with a data service which involved a partnership of Tandy,
Motorola and possibly some other companies.  The VideoTex machine
based on the 6809 was the result, and by adding a few chips to the
VideoTex a full computer could be made: the CoCo 1.
I'm sure others could expand or correct the details.