[Coco] Artifacting (again)

Fedor Steeman petrander at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 16:16:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

I think I can answer this question:

On 1 September 2010 18:38, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Do both PAL and NTSC produce artifacts? And are there any differences
> between PAL/NTSC machines? Do you get artifacting on the green/black PMODE 4
> screen (SCREEN 1,0)?

There are some colour effects on PAL screens with PMODE 4 that you might
call artifacting, but it is nothing like the NTSC artifacting effects. I
have lived with this basically since i was a kid with my first CoCo. Back
then, I thought some of the screenshots in the Rainbow were strange because
all I could get were these drab colours.

In PMODE 4 on PAL, the effects are pretty weird: You can still vaguely make
out the vertical lines that melt together into a pattern of alternating pale
green/pale blue bars. For the equivalents of blue and red, the bars were
shifted relative to each other.  It did not really work out, so PMODE 4 is
practically an unsharp B/W mode in PAL.

I used to have some screenshots of it coco3.com that now are gone, but I may
be able to dig them up somewhere.

Cheers,
Fedor