[Coco] Question about RAM

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Wed Oct 27 22:17:49 EDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 09:55 PM, Sean wrote:
> Although with the BASIC command, I don't think you would see any
> difference between a 128k CoCo and an upgraded one.

Quite right - you wouldn't even see (much of) a difference between a
CoCo3 (of any memory) and a 32K/64K CoCo1 or 2... [DS]ECB can't use more
than 32K RAM.

The CoCo3 did have some commands that could access memory outside that
32K (LPEEK/LPOKE) and the CoCo3 graphics pages were kept outside the
"original memory map" and was paged automatically by the GIME chip.

For a CoCo3, you could do a LPOKE to an unused memory area outside the
"normal" 128K address space, then LPEEK that address to see if the value
was the same; there may be other ways to verify but I can't think of a
better one right now.

HTH!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger