[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Oct 26 09:54:01 EDT 2010

I got it, and it looks like an adapter for a CoCo cartridge could be
made. But this seems to be a read-only port. I question the usefulness
for the same reason you do! A true I/O expansion port is a different
story though, and why the CoCo expansion connector makes sense for a
custom board (FPGA) model. Come to think of it, I don't see the need to
have it backwards compatible. So much that was added to the CoCo can be
built into a "CoCo4" either using an Intel MB or some other integrated
processor board or an FPGA. It just needs an easily programmable I/O
port for experimenters. There aren't many people with I/O cards other
than disk controllers, RS-232 paks, and maybe CoNect or DriveWire in
ROM. No reason one of those (or something similar) couldn't be
incorporated into the ROM on an FPGA model. I just suggested the LPT
port because it's there and easily programmed for most I/O needs, and is
built into the commonly used integrated I/O chips -- little (if any)
additioanl hardware needed, and it can be programmed for I/O. Emulating
a PIA would be trivial and easy to program with DECB. Of course "DECB4"
could have added commands to make it even easier. ------------- Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 07:51:09 +1000 From: Mark McDougall
<msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> Have you guys seen this?<http://www.retrode.org/
Either the relevance was lost on people or it truly isn't interesting to
anyone???

IMHO for the purpose of running_program_  cartridges on a PC-based emulator,
it is far superior to any parallel port hack, even if only because there's a
much greater chance that current&  future 'portable' platforms (eg. Pandora)
will have USB as opposed to a parallel port.

Having said that, I would personally question the usefulness of a device
that is limited to running ROM-based cartridges. Sure it's cool, but
ultimately unnecessary (unless you believe you don't have a right to use a
ROM dump for cartridges you actually own?!?)

For some reason - and I can't explain why - having a real Coco cartridge
port on an FPGA Coco 4 is a completely different kettle-of-fish.:)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"