[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 25 17:51:09 EDT 2010

On 24/10/2010 9:39 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Have you guys seen this?
> <http://www.retrode.org/>

Either the relevance was lost on people or it truly isn't interesting to
anyone???

IMHO for the purpose of running _program_ cartridges on a PC-based emulator,
it is far superior to any parallel port hack, even if only because there's a
much greater chance that current & future 'portable' platforms (eg. Pandora)
will have USB as opposed to a parallel port.

Having said that, I would personally question the usefulness of a device
that is limited to running ROM-based cartridges. Sure it's cool, but
ultimately unnecessary (unless you believe you don't have a right to use a
ROM dump for cartridges you actually own?!?)

For some reason - and I can't explain why - having a real Coco cartridge
port on an FPGA Coco 4 is a completely different kettle-of-fish. :)

Regards,