[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo project that Bjork was heading?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 21 19:32:25 EDT 2010

On 22/10/2010 9:21 AM, Bob Devries wrote:

> How much software would it take to run the LCD sideways, to give 320x240
> resolution? Is that do-able?

No software, just FPGA logic resources. Generally simply a matter of having
the video controller scan the memory in a different order during rasterisation.

One problem with this particular piece of hardware is the video refresh
rate. Doesn't gel nicely with VGA, so any FPGA emulation with the video
clock tied to the system clock isn't going to work as-is.

Most of my (early) designs, such as Space Invaders featured in the photo,
use a completely independent video clock - so with my generic video
controller module, it's trivial to output to any resolution, any scan rate,
any orientation (VGA, CVBS, TFT etc)

This platform isn't readily suitable for Gary's Coco3FPGA because it doesn't
have any SRAM. Otherwise, it'd be perfect!

We actually had DOOM running on it at one stage!

Regards,