[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo project that Bjork was heading?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:54:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> you said:
>>
>> Why use a general purpose PC, with all the extra overhead and
>> configuration needed for even the simplest emulator only
>> configuration, when FPGA hardware can be put together more cheaply and
>> can provide a better CoCo experience.
>
> The only reason I would have is "lack of desk space"
>
> If I could build a DE1 into a laptop (eeePC?) style case, I'd be happy, cos
> then I could take it anywhere. But then drivers for an LCD would need to be
> done.
>
> Hmmmm
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

The current DE1 board is much smaller than even a small PC, but a
little too large to fit inside a Coco case I think.  And of course as
you mentioned there would need to be a screen.  As they technology
gets smaller, cheaper, faster perhaps it could be done so that the
FPGA board was in a coco case and the standard coco connectors were
used, even the keyboard if desired.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Wolfe" <aawolfe at gmail.com>

>>> instance. Something readily available and low cost, and small. I've seen
>>> VIA ITC board mounted in a Commodore 64 case, "upgrading" the Commie.
>>> Some
>>> have mentioned keeping the CoCo keyboard, but we've had adapters to get
>>> away
>>> from that for a long time! Mount a mini USB keyboard on the CoCo case if